Sunday, 1 May 2016

Game engine settled

I've been working on my game design for a while now, and while it all sits nicely in my head, translating that into a working "thing" is a lot easier said than done.

Originally I prototyped it in Xcode, for iOS, with the intention of using SpriteKit, but the sad state of the iOS App Store these days, with the dominance of the "free-to-play" model that I hate (and in most cases is just an excuse to try and sell "crates of gems" at prices of up to an eye-watering £70!), means that I don't think initially I would want to ship on iOS.

So I've turned to Unity, which means down the line I can still of course ship for iOS, but at the moment, I'm looking at Mac and PC - the Mac App Store is something I'm familiar with from my other apps, but the PC arena is a bit of an unknown in terms of getting to market - there's Steam of course, but that's still a daunting prospect to try and get involved with.

So far, I'm really liking Unity - I used it for a little bit last year, but it's starting to make a lot more sense now, especially since the UI implementation introduced a while back.

As for my game, it's an RPG with storylines that will hopefully give a player pause, to think about the consequences of their actions, as well as give them a fun and rewarding experience.

More soon.